Its good to talk
I have always enjoyed talking to people. But when I was diagnosed with depression that suddenly changed. I was embarrassed to talk about my mental health problems. Until I phoned a college who had also been diagnosed with depression. When I phoned him, his response was amazing, his words changed my life for ever. He simply said, “Hi Ian, I have had a hard time as well and I’m currently off work with reactive depression”. It was a turning point in my recovery. I started to talk openly about my depression and encourage people who have a mental health problem to do the same.
I am passionate about enabling people to talk about their feelings. Therefore, I am very fortunate to be project managing the creation of the York Time to Change hub. My client is York CVS and I am very privileged to serve CVS in this way. Time to Change is a great initiative with a focus on breaking down the stigma and discrimination that is associated with mental health.
The aim of the York Time to Change Hub is focused on the mental health of young people. Helping to break down the stigma and discrimination that young people experience when suffering a mental health problem.
We are making great progress with this project.
- We have a steering group in place
- I have been making contact with various groups of people in local schools, colleges and Universities.
- We launched the hub on the 1st February 2018at CVS on ‘Time to Talk’ day.
- The next event is at York St. John University on the 1st March on ‘University Mental Health day’.
- Our third event is our first local campaign event at York CVS at Priory Street, on Monday 26th March 1pm to 4pm
- We have begun to plan an event during mental health week in May.
The aim of the campaign event on the 26th May is to
a: Discover about the development of the York Time to Change Hub
b: Find out how to get involved
c: Discover what is happening nationally with Time to Change
e: Be inspired by the stories of people with lived experience of mental health.
This link takes you to the Eventbright site were you can reserve your place http:bit.ly/2noePyK